Search This Blog
- April 2014 (5)
- March 2014 (2)
- February 2014 (2)
- January 2014 (3)
- December 2013 (15)
- November 2013 (6)
- October 2013 (6)
- September 2013 (5)
- August 2013 (8)
- July 2013 (18)
- June 2013 (12)
- May 2013 (17)
- April 2013 (21)
- March 2013 (11)
- February 2013 (4)
- January 2013 (20)
- December 2012 (10)
- November 2012 (21)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (13)
- August 2012 (5)
- July 2012 (7)
- June 2012 (17)
- May 2012 (9)
- April 2012 (7)
- March 2012 (2)
- February 2012 (4)
- January 2012 (15)
- December 2011 (9)
- November 2011 (2)
- October 2011 (4)
- September 2011 (3)
- August 2011 (2)
- July 2011 (3)
- June 2011 (5)
- May 2011 (8)
Next on my shopping list
Originally posted on ThinkBIM™ | All Things BIM:
Totally BIMdacious dude! The below video shows the latest version of Autodesk ReCap using images taken with a GoPro camera – mounted on an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) no less! – and compiled into a 3D model.
Potrero del Sol
Potrero del Sol
San Francisco, CA 94110, United States
5 tech trends transforming BIM/VDC
Trend #1. 3D laser scanning is becoming affordable
In a recent article getting a lot of social media coverage was a feature on the top 5 trend which are set to transform the BIM and Virtual Design Construction industry. Number 1 trend was the “affordability” of 3D scanners and their output.
The promise of enhancing…
View original 393 more words
Great potential for the construction industry
Originally posted on Augmented Reality Blog:
In this post we examine a technology with a cool name, and some pretty neat uses. SLAM stands for Simultaneous Localization and Mapping. Since expanding on the abbreviation does little to demystify the meaning of the term, we have asked Metaio computer vision researcher Darko Stanimirovic to explain what SLAM is and why it’s important.
Q. In layman’s terms, what is SLAM?
Darko: “The camera found on your smartphone is essentially a “dumb” device which simply captures the light in form of numbers. A video sequence then is simply an array of images containing again, nothing but numbers. In order for a smart device to know where it is an environment, it must be able to make sense of this stream of numbers. So, to help this “dumb” camera, a dedicated computer algorithm must be used. One such algorithm is called SLAM. The SLAM algorithm…
View original 373 more words
HS2 ltd has launched a supplier survey to help gauge whether the potential supply chain is ready to work to Level 2 Building Information Modelling (BIM) procuring and managing data for the design, build, operation and maintenance of the new high speed rail link.
The survey is open to any company planning to bid for work on the £42.6bn project and is not a formal part of the procurement process. The aim of the survey is to identify areas where HS2 ltd can work with suppliers to help them get ready for the new requirements.
HS2 ltd has appointed Mace Ltd to run the survey as part of a larger BIM Up-skilling Study. The study will include an electronic BIM capability scorecard for potential suppliers to complete, together with a series of interviews, meetings and events designed to capture views from the supply chain.
The survey is the first of a series of consultations announced at the HS2 Supply Chain Conference in Birmingham in November 2013.
You can find and complete the survey here https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/hs2bimupskillingstudy
The full set of tools for engaging in BIM look like this (so far):
Autodesk Infrastructure Suite.
Strategy, processes and manuals.
Adobe products for graphics and layout.
Web services for sales
Sharepoint and local area network storage.
Solibri for validation
Government Portal Extranets
Mind mapping software
Skype, Webex and Lync
Point cloud manipulation
Installation, commission and maintenance tools
Post it notes
Red felt tip pen
Like it or not this is the reality of a live project and getting information to flow through all these tools and stay useful and relevant is one of the biggest challenges.
The last two paragraphs translate as:
Ministry of Construction, Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Ministry is required before May 21, 2014 to determine the leading research institution, consolidating scientific potential and to establish a scientific platform for innovation in the construction industry.
Also on site is taken by the government instructed the Ministry of Construction, Rosstandart together with expert advice to the Government of the Russian Federation and development institutions to develop and approve a plan for the phased implementation of BIM in the field of industrial and civil construction, including enabling the examination of project documentation prepared by using such technologies. Term – September 10, 2014.
Google Translation below:
Decision after a meeting of the presidium of the Presidential Council of the Russian Federation on economic modernization and innovative development of the innovative development of Russia in the field of construction
March 13, 2014 6:00
Dmitry Medvedev held a meeting of the Presidium of the Council of 4 March 2014. By the end of the following decisions (Minutes of the Council of 4 March 2014 number 2):
1. Take note of the message of the Minister of Construction and Housing and Communal Services of the Russian Federation M.A.Menya and spoke on the matter.
2. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu), Ministry of Economic Development of Russia (A.V.Ulyukaevu), the Ministry of Industry of Russia (D.V.Manturovu) Rosstandart (G.I.Elkinu) together with interested federal executive bodies with the participation of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation, the national associations of self-regulatory organizations in the construction sector and development institutions to prepare a strategy of innovative development of the construction industry. On the results to the Government of the Russian Federation.
Deadline – December 18, 2014.
3. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu), Ministry of Economic Development of Russia (A.V.Ulyukaevu), Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations (V.A.Puchkovu), Russian Ministry of Justice (A.V.Konovalovu), the CPS (A.Yu.Popovoy) involving interested federal executive bodies to prepare proposals for amendments to legal acts providing for mandatory publication requirements in the design and construction of the only federal executive authority (Ministry of Construction of Russia) in the form of normative legal acts of the harmonization of such requirements with the relevant federal executive bodies and conduct assess their regulatory impact in the prescribed manner.
Term – September 3, 2014.
4. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu), the Ministry of Industry of Russia (D.V.Manturovu) Rosstandart (G.I.Elkinu) with the participation of national associations of self-regulatory organizations in the construction sector in the implementation of a comprehensive program of measures to ensure the harmonization of Russian and European standards construction (Eurocodes) for the application of innovative technologies and materials, including providing resource and energy efficiency of buildings.
Deadline – December 17, 2014.
5. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu) to analyze the practice of using re-use projects and to submit proposals to improve the regulatory framework in this area, providing relief procedures and prioritize the use of such projects under construction with the use of budget funds and state support measures, as well as provide content registry standard design documentation.
Deadline – May 15, 2014.
6. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu)submit proposals to simplify and expedite procedures for confirming suitability for the construction of new materials, products, designs and technologies;take additional measures to ensure the exclusion of conflict of interest and monopolization during the procedure confirm the suitability of new materials, products, designs and technologies for use in construction.
Deadline – April 17, 2014.
7. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu), the Ministry of Industry of Russia (D.V.Manturovu) Rosstandart (G.I.Elkinu) with interested federal executive authorities, the Expert Council under the Government of the Russian Federation and the national associations of self-regulatory organizations in the construction industry review the existing structure and practices of the Technical Committees in the field of construction and to submit proposals for their optimization.
Deadline – June 3, 2014.
8. Ministry of Sports of Russia (V.Mutko) together with development institutions, the Government of the Republic of Mordovia Government of the Volgograd Region, Kaliningrad Region Government, the Government of the Nizhny Novgorod region, the Government of the Rostov region, Samara Region Government, the Government of the Sverdlovsk region, the Moscow Government and the Fund for Infrastructure and Educational Programs ensure the application of innovation, including nanotechnology, production at the design and construction of stadiums and infrastructure for the 2018 Russian Federation in the World Cup.On the results to the Government of the Russian Federation, August 6, 2014 (hereinafter – annually).
9. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu) with the participation of Russian Ministry of Economic Development, Industry and Trade of Russia, Ministry of Education of Russia, the Fund “RHD” national associations self-regulatory organizations in the construction sector and development institutions to update the Development Strategy of building materials and industrial housing for the period up to 2020 ( approved by Order of the Ministry of Regions of Russia from May 30, 2011 № 262) and development program for the construction of enterprises producing innovative building materials, while there are additional measures aimed at:promote the use of innovative technologies and materials in the construction and building materials;improving the system of training and development research, engineering and technical personnel and the implementation of research activities in the development of the construction industry;increase in labor productivity in construction;the formation of a database of information about advanced materials and technologies used in construction.
Deadline – December 18, 2014.
10. Foundation “RHD” (A.A.Bravermanu) for the implementation of the program of construction enterprises under paragraph 9 of this Protocol, to ensure the involvement in the trafficking of federally-owned land for their provision for the construction of plants producing innovative building materials.
11. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu), Ministry of Economic Development of Russia (A.V.Ulyukaevu), Ministry of Education of Russia (D.V.Livanovu) identify the leading research institution, consolidating scientific potential and to establish a scientific platform for innovation in the construction industry.
Deadline – May 21, 2014.
12. Russian Ministry of Construction (M.A.Menyu) Rosstandart (G.I.Elkinu) together with the Expert Council under the Government of the Russian Federation and development institutions to develop and approve the plan for the phased implementation of BIM in the field of industrial and civil construction, including enabling the examination project documentation prepared by using such technologies.
Deadline – September 10, 2014.
13. Minvostokrazvitiya Russia (A.S.Galushke), Ministry of Economic Development of Russia (A.V.Ulyukaevu) consider the inclusion in the list of areas formed by advancing economic development of industrial sites on which the new production and bazaltovolokonnyh bazaltokomopzitnyh materials.
Deadline – June 5, 2014.
Some of the key factors are a review of the way government procure, assess and approve information which is still strongly paper based. This is a massive step forward for bringing the Russian Construction Industry forward into the 21st Century.